Thefts From Motor Vehicles
Most thefts from vehicles take place during the late night hours; however, we have recently seen an increase in thefts from motor vehicles during the day. In these cases, valuables were left in plain sight and the unknown suspect(s) broke out a window and grabbed the valuables. Many of our thefts from vehicles occur due to vehicles being left unlocked.
Make yourself less vulnerable to theft by following the recommendations below:
- Secure your vehicle by locking all doors and rolling up the windows.
- Remove all portable stereo equipment, CD's, cell phones, radar detectors, and other similar equipment from your vehicle. If this is not possible, make an attempt to hide them from view.
- Remove all personal property such as purses and wallets.
- Do not leave packages visible in your vehicle.
- Park in well lit areas or areas of high traffic/visibility.
- Do not leave your vehicle running or your keys in the vehicle unattended.
- Report suspicious activities in parking lots to the University Police immediately.
- Check your vehicle daily to ensure that it has not been damaged or broken into.