- Do not overload yourself with books or packages. Try to keep your hands free.
- If you think someone is following you, cross the street, walk faster, or even walk down the middle of the street. Try to get to a lighted area, public place, or to a group of people.
- Avoid areas overgrown with trees, weeds, and shrubbery.
- Avoid walking alone when intoxicated, upset, or depressed.
- Never hitchhike or accept rides from strangers.
- Walk with an air of confidence and aggressiveness.
- Carry keys clenched in your fist, with sharp edges protruding out through your fingers.
- Always have keys ready to open the door. Do not fumble through bags or pockets for long periods of time. This diverts your attention away from your surroundings.
- If your purse or backpack is snatched, do NOT fight it. There is nothing in it that cannot be replaced.